Thursday, December 13, 2007

Since I always wanted to copy everything my sister does...

I guess that starting a blog isn't a bad thing. Throwing my thoughts out there into cyber space can't be so bad, right? I've been baking cookies like crazy, preparing for Christmas. I don't know why, but baking and Christmas kind of go together for me. When I was younger, every year 2 weeks or so before Christmas, my whole family would bake sugar cookies and then decorate them together. We would put my mom's Donnie Osmond Christmas CD on, and maybe even John Denver and the Muppets, and we would all frost, making intricate creations. Ever since my sister got married, the baking sugar cookies and decorating them tradition has faded away. I hate that we've lost it, because it sort of forced us all to sit down and actually spend quality time together, but it wouldn't be the same without my sister. I fondly remember those moments, creating little icing-covered sweets--getting praised for my artistic ability with frosting. One year I even did a Mike Wazowski. Instead of those sugar cookies, I now make it my Christmas mission to make fun cookies. This year so far, I made molasses cookies, chocolate chip cookies, brownie cookies with peanut butter chips, and Mexican wedding cookies. It makes me not miss my sister as much--I know she loves to cook, and it makes me feel close to her. Maybe one day, I'll restart the sugar cookies tradition with my nieces and nephews, or even my own kids. Until then, I will keep picking more intricate cookies and new things each year.

No comments: