Friday, January 11, 2008

Carry me back to Old Virginny...

So I explained to my sister that I hadn't been blogging because work has been crazy since Christmas. And then...submissions stopped coming in and it majorly slowed down this afternoon. Of course, that's fine with me because I have been bombarded for like 2 weeks. A couple moments to myself at work is nice.

I have decided that I miss the fake-niceties in the South. Even when people were peeved with you at work, they didn't show it, they didn't give a hint of it at all. You felt good--like what you were doing was good and you were appreciated (whether that was the truth or not). I miss that. I can clearly tell when people aren't happy with me here in Philadelphia. As a girl raised in the "put on your happy face" and "oh, bless her heart" South, it's been one of the culture shocks that I have received. People are very up-front here, getting angry from waiting in line too long, huffing when they have to bring papers to your desk ALL THE WAY from the printer on the other side of the room... I attempt to manage my sweet "thank you" when my co-worker shuffles over here and smacks papers down on my desk. All she mutters is "uh huh!" sharply and walks away.

As the Southern Belle in PA, I have to ask, Pennsylvanians...Where's the love?? I miss my Virginia and our beloved State Motto, "Virginia is for Lovers." What is Pennsylvania for? Blaring horns, shouted curse words, and eating lunch at your desk so there is no forced interaction?

1 comment:

Pastor Kerry said...

Hello Southern Belle,

I appreciate your comments. May you be blessed today.

I am a pastor from Canada and people can be nice here in some parts and in others they act like the ones at your work. That is too bad. Love covers over a multitude of flaws doesn't it? People seem to struggle with that. They think they will feel better when they vent, but really it is such a lie from the pit. That just spreads their ugliness all over the rest of us like a contagious germ. It is better to love than to vent anyday.